Board of Zoning Appeals
- The Appeals Board meets on the second Thursday of the month, at 8 pm, in the Jackson County Courthouse.
||Term Expiration Date
|Jeff Grimm (Chair)
||December 31, 2025
|Steven Willett (Member)
December 31, 2025
|Terry Bernatis (Member)
December 31, 2024
|Julie Stithem (Member)
||December 31, 2023
|Doug Fisher (Member)
||December 31, 2023
As established by the Zoning Regulations, the primary functions of the Appeals Board include:
- To hear and decide on appeals where it is alleged that there is an error in any order, requirement, decision, or determination made by an administrative official in the enforcement of these Regulations.
- To interpret the provisions of the Zoning Resolution in such a way as to carry out the intent and purposes of the adopted comprehensive plan, and shown upon the zoning district map fixing the several districts and accompanying and made part of this Resolution, where street layout actually on the ground varies from the street layout as shown on the zoning district map.
- To authorize, in specific cases, a variance from the specific terms of the regulations which will not be contrary to the public interest and where, due to special conditions, a literal enforcement of the provisions of the regulations in an individual case results in unnecessary hardship, and provided that the spirit of the regulations shall be observed, public safety and welfare secured, and substantial justice done. Such variance shall not permit any use not permitted by the zoning regulations in such district.
- To grant exceptions to the provisions of the zoning regulations in those instances where the board is specifically authorized to grant such exceptions and only under the terms of the zoning regulations. In no event shall exceptions to the provisions of the zoning regulations be granted where the use or exception contemplated is not specifically listed as an exception int he zoning regulations. Further, under no conditions shall the board of zoning appeals have the power to grant an exception when conditions of this exemption, as established in the zoning regulations by the Governing Body, are not found to be present.